Energy efficiency is something we are all looking for in regards to our commercial buildings. Some of the most common energy efficiency topics that come to mind are roofing because our roofs can help us save a lot on our energy spending. When we refer to roofs being energy efficient, we tend to call energy-efficient roofs or cools roofs. So how do cool roofs work? Cools roofs work by having a material that is highly reflective. The best way to think about it is when you are wearing light colored clothes over dark colored clothes; when we wear lighter colored clothing, we tend to stay cooler than we would if we worse darker colored clothing. The same goes for cools roofs, the lighter they are and the more reflective the material is, the more energy-efficient the roof is going to be.
With a cool roof, it is able to shine back the sun’s rays and in turn, soak up less heat. To know if an energy-efficient or cool roof has excellent energy efficiency, it’s important to look up the energy efficiency ratings of the particular roof. What are energy efficiency ratings for roofs? These ratings are able to tell property owners how energy-efficient a product is; the higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the product is going to be. While energy-efficient, or cool roofs, are a great investment for your property, a lot of people wonder, “How much is a cool roof?” and its honestly going to depend on the material that is used. Another question that people tend to ask in regards to cool roofing is, “What roofing material is the most energy efficient?” and there are a couple of energy-efficient roofs that commercial buildings can benefit from.
- Shingle Roofing: We tend to only use shingle roofing is used for apartment complexes, but those are properties that are going to need to save on energy costs. If there are several buildings that you own that need new roofing, you can’t go wrong with shingle roofing.
- Metal Roofing: Metal is a great roofing material when you want better energy efficiency for your commercial property. This is because the material naturally reflects the sun from the roof, making the entire building cooler.
- Roof Membranes: Roof membranes like PVC and TPO roofing are great because they are both made of white material. As stated before, lighter colors are going to keep anything cooler than darker colors, which is why roof membranes are so great.
- Roof Coatings: If you have a roofing system that is in good condition but you want better energy savings, you can always get a roof coating for your roof. This not only extends the life of your roof, but it can also make your roof more energy-efficient.
Energy Efficiency Benefits
While one of the best things you can do for your roof is investing in an energy-efficient roof, it’s important to know what the benefits of energy-efficiency even are. Sure it sounds good on the surface, but when investing in anything, it’s important to get in-depth information on something. Here are some of the benefits you will receive when you have an energy-efficient roof installed on your commercial building.
- When you invest in an energy-efficient or cool roof for your building, you are increasing the value of your property.
- One of the great things about an energy-efficient roof or cool roof is that you can reduce your carbon footprint; this type of roof is more eco-friendly so you are doing something good to impact the environment.
- The upfront cost of a cool roofing system might be a lot higher than a regular commercial roof, but it’s an investment, so you will actually make that money back or more on your energy savings.
- You are not only going to increase the value of your property and reduce your carbon footprint, but you are also going to save more on your utility bills, as well.
- A more energy-efficient roof is more ventilated, doesn’t have moisture, and is a good temperature, which in turn can improve your indoor air quality.
People who are interested in energy efficiency want to know how energy efficiency can be improved in their buildings, and the answer is investing in roofing and HVAC systems that have better energy efficiency ratings, as well as having better insulation.
What is a Cool Roof Coating?
We know that a cool roof is a roofing system that has a roof material that is highly reflective. When we hear about a cool roof coating, we wonder if its the same thing as a regular cool roof. While a cool roof has a reflective roof material that is installed, a cool roof coating is a reflective coating that is sprayed directly onto an existing roofing system. There are different types of cool roof coatings such as acrylic, elastomeric, polyurea, and silicone. These coatings are typically white, with many people asking, “Do White roofs save energy?” and the answer is yes. Lighter color roofs are going to provide better energy efficiency than roofs that are a darker color. The great thing about cool roof coatings is that they can be applied to any type of roofing system, whether its low-slope or steep-sloped roofs.
If you are interested in energy efficient roofing in Lubbock, TX, the best thing you can do is a call a professional roofer. You wouldn’t call a nonspecialist to provide your lawn with landscaping services, so if you need an energy-efficient roof, you need to call an expert. Roofs Inc. is a commercial roofing company who is able to offer excellent energy-efficient roof services. Give us a call at 806-771-9780 to set up an appointment or to learn more.